Monday, April 6, 2009

Rehab this Rehab that

Hey everyone. In this post I want to talk about something that a customer of mine ran into a while back using some of the rehabilitation sub-assemblies in AutoCAD Civil 3D 2009. The particular project was a widening and overlay job. So, we started looking at the available options. We put together our assembly and created the Corridor model along with our top and datum surfaces. Completing the process, we cut cross sections and created the section views.

Upon inspection of our cross section data we noticed something strange. The datum surface followed the points and links that we expected it to until it reached the inside of the widened section. Then it shot straight across the section to the inside edge of the widened section on the opposite side. This made for an area that the program considered a cut volume when we created our quantities.

I tired everything that I could think of to change the assembly and corridor properties to rid our cross sections of this cut area. Everything that I tried failed miserably. So, I posted a support request with Autodesk. I got a call on Friday of last week from the Support Technician on the case. He had found the answer to our problem. He started explaining a couple of things to me and then it happened, on of those "Eureka!!!!!" moments.

The solution was simple, but I am afraid we all tried to make it a lot harder than was necessary. All we had to do was go back to the surfaces tab in the Corridor Editor and add the Overlay Link to the datum surface, rebuilt the corridor and everything was depicted as it should have been.

I want to thank the folks at Autodesk for helping on this one. They did an outstanding job!

No comments: